You heard that right, No.Bake.Anti-Inflammatory.BALLS!! Stop whatever you're doing, well I guess don't stop what you're doing since you're sitting here reading this, so stop whatever you're doing (once you're done reading this lovely little post) and go make these bad boys! These lasted about 1.5 days in our house, and yes there is only 2 of us, and the only reason they even lasted that long was because I was forcing us to try and make them last longer until I could make more! Literally every time we ate one the words "these are so F***ing good" came rolling out of our stuffed mouths. I'm serious, you need these in your life.
What's super awesome about these balls is that they are jam packed with nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties. They're a great pre/post workout quick snack, or prepping dinner snack (yes that is a thing, especially in this house). So what makes them anti-inflammatory? I'm so glad you asked!
TURMERIC! This brightly colored spice has been studied by many researchers over the years and they all have come to some amazing conclusions on the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric. Now, short-term (acute) inflammation is important in the body. It helps the body fight off foreign invaders and also plays a part in repairing damage. Without inflammation, invaders, like bacteria, could easily take over our bodies and kill us. However, long-term (chronic) inflammation can become a major problem and is said to play a major role in almost every chronic, Western disease (ex: Arthritis, Alzheimer's, Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes, etc.). Chronic inflammation is caused by many different things (unhealthy diet, abundance of sugar, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) and many prescription drugs just mask these symptoms and cause our body's inflammatory/anti-inflammatory feedback loop to become compromised leading it to not know how to take care of itself. Therefore, my very first recommendation for those with a chronic disease(s) is changing the diet (I can help with this!) Anyway, back to Turmeric. This stuff can help fight chronic inflammation, so much so that it has been shown to have the same effectiveness as some anti-inflammatory drugs (without interfering with our bodies inflammatory/anti-inflammatory feedback loop) (read here or here).
Now for the goods! 🡻
No Bake, Anti-Inflammatory Balls
- 1.5 cups Walnuts (any nut will do)
- 7 pitted Dates
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder or Collagen (If using Collagen, add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 3 teaspoons 100% Maple Syrup (I get mine through Thrive Market)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Coconut butter or dark chocolate (optional but highly recommend)
- Place all the ingredients (minus the coconut butter or chocolate) into a food processor and pulse for about a minute or until everything is well chopped and combined
- Roll the dough-like mixture, in your hands, into balls and place on a plate (Will make about 10-12 balls depending on the size)
- Melt coconut butter or chocolate and drizzle over the top of the balls with a spoon
- And now the hard part, try not to eat them all!
- I refrigerated mine just open on a plate because I knew we would eat them fast. Will last for a while in the fridge and will freeze well too, just let it sit out for 15-20 minutes to thaw out.
Enjoy, you beautiful souls! And comment on here or tag me on Insta if you try them out!